Thursday, March 12, 2009

Shawn is back!

Tuesday morning found all of us wives down on lower base anxiously waiting the return of our husbands!  We did a pier side homecoming (a first for me) and were actually able to watch the boat dock.  It was really amazing.  Seeing the sub up close like that makes you realize how HUGE it is!  I can't believe people live in it for months at a time, that just blows my mind!  Anyways, the boat docked and all of us went crazy!  After the guys got it tied up and secured, slowly husbands started making their way down to greet their awaiting families!  It was awesome!  My friend's little girl won "First Hug" and her daddy was one of the first ones let off the boat and his little girl is just now 6 months old and has grown so much since he last saw her.  I almost cried when I saw him with her, it was just so sweet.  

Shawn eventually made his way down and, of course, I was squealing with excitement!  I didn't realize how much I truly missed him until I saw him.  It was pure heaven!  Shawn is my entire world and the time we have to spend apart is excruciating for both of us.  I was the only one able to drive my van right down onto the pier (because of the wheelchair thing) so Shawn was able to climb in the car with Savannah and I and hang out and catch up for about an hour.  It was awesome!  He did have to return to the boat and Savannah and I left without him.  That kinda sucked, but he called about 5pm and we were able to go back down and get him!  

Savannah has been so excited to have Daddy back home!  She ended up sleeping in bed with us the first night.  After putting her back in her bed 3 times we gave up and just let her sleep with us.  She kept waking up randomly throughout the night and saying "hi daddy."  It was cute.  She was walking around the house this morning saying she was going to go look for daddy and I had to tell her he was at work and I was afraid she was going to cry, but I told her that he would be back home after her nap!  She was ok with that.   

It's amazing to me how much she is starting to understand Shawn's job.  It makes it a little easier to be able to explain it to her, but it also sucks when it upsets her because she does understand.  It's a catch 22 I guess.  

So, now Shawn is going to have a few days off and we are trying to decide if we want to get the hell outa dodge and go to Orlando for 2 or 3 days and do Sea World and Down Town Disney, or if we just want to hang around here and do things like the Zoo, St. Augustine, and Jekyll Island.  He left the choice up to me so I guess whatever I want we will do.  =)  



2 comments:

Miss Hope said...

Yay for having him home! Have a wonderful time catching up and just being together!

Anonymous said...

That's so cool you got to enjoy your pierside homecomeing. When we had ours 2 years ago, it was almost 100 degrees! And we waited for 3 hours. But it is a pretty awesome experience.
Have a lot of fun with him whatever you decide to do! :)