Tuesday, April 13, 2010

For Andrew....

For those of you who don't know, my nephew, Andrew (about to turn 6!), is blind and has been from birth (Born at 23 weeks). I was playing on the internet and ran across the braille font for embroidery. I thought it was kinda neat and mentioned it to his mom (My SIL, Kelly) and she thought it was pretty cool too. Well, since Andrew is in the process of learning braille and learning to use a braille writer we thought how cool would it be to make him some embroidered shirts with braille! Most of his clothes are screen print and, being blind, he can't distinguish the difference in the shirts. Having something that he could go to his drawer and feel would give him some freedom to pick out, and KNOW what is on his shirt he is wearing! So here are the 3 I have done so far.


Love, love, love this rocket ship!

And of course, being a Submariner's wife, he had to have a submarine shirt!


And last, a shark!

I like to use Minky and/or Flannel in the designs to make it feel more interesting!

1 comment:

Misty said...

Beautiful work Sheila! I'm sure your nephew will be so excited! I was buying the boys band-aids the other day and noticed several of the kids band-aid boxes come with braille on them now. I wouldn't have previously noticed braille but now do because of the projects you create with it on them. Neat stuff!