A week or so ago, I watched Brothers. I cried my eyes out when Grace heard the news about her husband. Even though I empathized with her, I still felt safe with our lifestyle. After all, my husband was on a submarine under the ocean, and despite what some people believe, a nuclear submarine is a relatively safe place to be...and it's far away from the dangers of combat.
About a week ago, I got a call. One that made my heart stop. My husband was safe, but someone else's wasn't. My dear friend Kami's husband was hurt. Bad.
Her husband Durand, a Marine for 16 years, was deployed to Afghanistan. His vehicle was hit by an IED (improvised explosive device) and he was badly injured. At that time, we weren't sure how bad it was...just that it wasn't good. But he was alive.
After a few days, Kami was able to speak to him. She learned that he had bilateral fractures in both legs, devulsion of a finger, facial fractures, and some other things too. He had surgeries while abroad and then on Monday night he arrived at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland and on Sunday his wife and two daughters were flown up there to be with him. Since arriving at NNMC, he has had many more surgeries.
A few days ago, he found out he wouldn't lose his finger after all and that was a small victory in the huge battle he is facing. Today, however, they made a decision to amputate one of his legs.
Tuesday I was able to see Kami for a few moments. She shared pictures of Durand being presented with a well deserved Purple Heart by the Commandant of the US Marine Corps. He is truly a hero.
A Facebook page has been set up to support Captain Durand Tanner and his family during this trying time. I know the family is able to read the comments even if they cannot respond at this time. In addition, Durand has asked that in lieu of flowers, he would love to receive get well letters and mail (address is below). At this point, the military is willing to house Kami and the girls in Maryland for 21 days, but Durand may need to be there much longer than that. Monetary donations are also being accepted to help the family in their time of need. But what they need the most is prayers. Their whole lives have been turned upside down because of this incident.
Captain Durand Tanner
Marine Patient Affairs Team
8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bldg 10, Room 1014
Bethesda, MD 20889

1 comment:
Oh God bless their family. It is amazing what military families give to America and they deserve all of the honors they receive and much more.
oh & p.s. I am having a giveaway.... http://ladybug-blessings.com/?p=373
Post a Comment