Well, needless to say, I have been horrible at blogging over the last few months. As my pregnancy progressed, I became increasingly miserable. Being in a wheelchair and being pregnant is no easy feat. I knew from early on that Scarlett was going to be bigger than Savannah was because of the way I was carrying her. I didn't gain any more weight than I did with Savannah (about 20lbs) but I got quite a bit bigger. By the last month I could barely bend forward to do anything and Scarlett's elbow or heal or something was wedged near my ribs on the left side which left me constantly bruised on the inside. It hurt to even push myself around. But besides being so uncomfortable towards the end, my pregnancy went great!

On Wednesday Feb 10th I went to the OB for my 39 week check and was really excited to get some good news about how much I was progressing. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions like crazy for WEEKS! After the OB checked me and told me that I was soft but not dilated at all, I left there pretty upset and disappointed. I was dreading even another week being pregnant.
The next morning was business like usual. Savannah had to be at school at 9am and I had an appointment at the clinic to get my EFM (exceptional family member) paperwork filled out. I REALLY considered canceling that appointment because of how uncomfortable I was, but now I am VERY glad I didn't!
Somewhere between 8 and 8:30 I had 2 or 3 contractions that were a bit painful. I kinda thought it was just because the OB had checked me the day before and I was just sore from that. As the morning progressed the contractions didn't let up in frequency or intensity. I got to the clinic and was actually having to breathe a little through the contractions. When I got back into the exam room, they took my BP and it was 140/99. I was a little worried seeing as I had just been examined less than 24 hours before. So I asked if we could take my BP again before I left. The doctor came in about 10 min later and by that time I had taken out a piece of paper and started to log my contractions. They were coming about every 4-6 min. The Dr. took my BP again and it was up from when it was taken the first time. I was getting a little freaked out about having preeclampsia. We got my paper work filled out and took my BP again before I left and it was about the same. I asked the Dr. if she thought I should go across the hall and ask to be seen by the OB and she said that I should just go home and rest. Idiot.
I went and dropped off the paperwork and went right over to the OB clinic. I asked to see one of the nurses and told her what my BP was and if she could take it for me. She had me sit and rest/relax (yeah right) for a few min and then came out with the BP machine. She took it and it was around 150/100! She went and talked to the OB and he said I should probably go to the hospital and be monitored.
I got out to my car at 11 and called Shawn and told him that I needed to go to the hospital to be monitored. He went and picked Savannah up from school and at about 12:15 we were headed to the hospital. I had come back home and packed some PB&J sandwiches and snacks/activities for Savannah because I figured we would be at the hospital for a while and didn't want her to get too bored.
We arrived at the hospital a little after 12:30 and by 1pm I was gowned up and laying in the bed. My contractions had been continuing this entire time and they were getting closer together and stronger. Shortly after getting in the bed I was really having to breathe through them. The nurse asked me if I would like to be checked, I said yes. I was kinda hoping to be a cm or 2 dilated. When she checked me and told me I was 7 cm dilated I kinda freaked! We all kinda freaked! I actually cried.
The nurses went into overdrive trying to get everything ready and get ahold of a doctor to come down and deliver me. The anesthesiologist came to talk to me about an epidural and I decided against it because I figured by the time I got it in and it started to work I would be ready to push. I opted for a shot of drugs through my IV to take the edge off. I think I had about 4 or 5 contractions once the meds hit before I felt the need to push. I went from 7 cm to 9 cm in 20 min and before I knew it I was pushing and not able to stop. I told the nurse I was pushing and she and the doctor got into position and after 3 contractions and a little bit of pushing Scarlett Alyse was born at 1:49 pm! She weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20 inches long! Shawn cut the cord and they put her right on my chest! She was pink and crying and just perfect!

Now, with all that being said, imagine all of that going on and my 3 1/2 year old sitting in a chair with her brand new Ipod (her big sister present from baby sister) watching a movie completely oblivious to anything going on!

Savannah was in the room the entire time, through EVERYTHING!! Once Scarlett was actually born and was crying, everything caught up with Savannah. She started crying. I think she was quite confused and we had only told her we were going to the doctor to get baby sister checked and with everything happening so quickly, we didn't actually tell her that baby sister was coming then! I don't know if it would of helped her reaction or not, but I still felt a little bad.

Look at her poor little face!
So, in less than 24 hours of being told I was not going to have a baby that week, Scarlett was born. It's a good thing I didn't listen to that first doctor, because we might not of made it to the hospital in time!!

4 comments:
It sounds like the labor and delivery were quick and easy. I can imagine it was a little emotional for Savannah, but I'm sure she loves being a big sister to Scarlett!
What I would have given for a labor and delivery like that! I'm so glad that things went so quickly and so well for you. I couldn't be happier for you all!
what a beautiful story and such a good mommy you are going home and packing things for Savannah to do while you were in LABOR!!! WOW Congrats :)
Wooohooo- Sounds like everything went great~
Savannah will be a great big sister!
Post a Comment